Friday, September 16, 2011

Yarn Review: Dream In Color Starry



I was part of the Dream In Color Club for 6 months this past year and Starry in the Honeymoon color-way was our yarn for February. I loved it as soon as I saw it, but wasn't sure if I really wanted to knit the pattern that came with it or if I should make something else. So I decided to let it marinate in the stash for awhile. After the frustrations with my Devon Socks, I decided that I just needed something pretty that was simple, but fun. So, I went for the brightest thing in my stash... This beautiful, hot-pink, sparkly, Barbie-esque yarn!

The picture doesn't show it as well, but there is a slight tonal variation to the pink which gives this yarn a depth and lets the super bright pink work. Without that, this yarn would definitely give off a plastic-y, acrylic vibe because of the brightness of the color and the metallic strands. The yarn doesn't have that cheap feel like most yarns with metallic do. It's super squishy and wonderful and I can't wait to finish the shawl pattern so that I can wrap it around me. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of my favorite scarves just because the yarn is so wonderful!

I did notice that the yarn can be a bit thick and thin in places. It isn't enough to notice in the finished project, but you can see it while knitting with the yarn. Also, even though the yarn is super-wash and promoted as "Sock Weight" on the ball band, I would shy away from making socks that will be worn quite a bit just because there is no nylon content in the fiber mix.

All in all, though, I think that I've found a new yarn that I'm going to need in every color I can get my hands on! I just love it so much!!

^_^

No comments: