Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bugs and Fungi!! O.O


Bugs and Fungi!! O.O, originally uploaded by EdwardRad.

A few weeks ago, I bought this cute little mini-poinsettia for $0.50 at the grocery store along with a larger red one thinking that it would be a lot of fun to try my hand at taking care of plants. (I have never once had a plant live for very long after I got a hold of it.)

Things were going great until I noticed that the soil around the plant was molding. Not the plant itself, just the dirt. Also, we started to get all these little flying bugs in our apartment that seem to love my plants. The same thing had happened a few months ago (the mold, not the bugs) when I was going to grow an herb garden and once I put the plants on the deck, the mold went away. Unfortunately, right now the average temp is right around 0 degrees (F) so putting it outside isn't an option unless I want to kill the whole thing. So, today I hauled my little guy over to my local plant doctor (aka: Mom). She can fix any plant no matter how close it is to dying, so I left Petey (that's what I named my plant) in her care and tomorrow I'll be bringing Petunia (my large red poinsettia) over as well.

Hopefully, they'll get to come back home soon. I want to make sure that they're all better before I try to take them on by myself again, though. I have no faith at all in my own gardening abilities. -_-

No comments: