Monday, February 9, 2009

One Down, Nine To Go

On top of my Year-of-Socks project, I want to get rid of all the UFOs that are clogging-up my living room. (We have a very small apartment, I can't afford to have 1/5 of my living room covered in unfinished projects and half-attempted-ideas.) I've just finished the first of the nine projects that I found:



Next on the agenda for finishing is the hand-made portion of my dad's Christmas present. (Here is the drama surrounding this gift.) I ended-up just giving him the assortment of natural bar soaps that I had bought at the craft show last fall with the promise that he would get the bath cloth once I wasn't quite as mad at it. I think that a little over a month is a good enough length of time to make it sit in time-out...



I was finally able to get some decent pics of my yarn and the beginnings of my Just Enough Ruffles scarf (Laura Chau). At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the stripes, but now I'm glad that I kept at it. I love the colors together and the stripes are looking better and better as I work the short rows on the scarf. (I am using 3 skeins of the tan for the scarf, but the 3rd was already wound into a ball and being used to start the scarf when I took the pic.)

Plymouth Yarn Royal Llama Silk
Colorways: 1829 (tan) & 1841 (blue)


Close-up of the first few rows on my scarf.


The scarf thus far.


My February Socks have been moving right along. (Honestly, quite a bit quicker than I intended, I'm currently about 3 days ahead of schedule on them.) They're the most handy take-along project that I have, so it's hard not to always have them with me at my knit groups and my parents' house. The striping on these is turning-out very nicely so I'm glad that Michelle convinced me to keep working on them. When I thought that it might be a self-striping yarn, I almost switched to a more random colorway. Rita assured me, though, that this colorway was never intended to be self-striping and that I just lucked-out. I'm so happy with how they're looking, I just hope that they fit.

The front 1/2 of sock #1 is complete!!
The heel-flap, up close and personal.

The view from the back.


We had a fun adventure the other day. (By we, I mean my parents, myself, and my two youngest siblings.) As we were driving around town looking at houses (something that I'm sure you all do), we drove past the first house I lived in. Well, we drove past the lot, rather. Unfortunately, we believe that the people who bought it from us were making meth in the house. A couple years back, the house was torn down and the lot has just been sitting with a driveway and garage surrounded by trees since.

Recently, the lot was put-up for sale and I desperately wish that Dan and I could buy it. I always loved that house and neighborhood. Even if the original house is gone, I would still like to move back to where I grew-up. (Yes, I do still live in the same city, but this is different.) I'm normally not one to get super emotional, but driving past the old place still makes me sad. It made it even worse when my dad pulled in the driveway and we got out to look at the mark that I had left by the garage when I was one...

No comments: